Together with content focusing on training technologies, best practice and lessons learned that the industry has come to value from the WATS conferences, WATS 2021 will also provide insights into the challenges and hopes for recovery and return to growth. Presentations and moderated discussions led by industry experts will focus on dealing with the challenges that technology, evidence, regulatory environments and our increasing knowledge on human performance are bringing to our industry.
Maintenance Conference Moderator – Dr. Bill Johnson
Day 1 – Tuesday 15th June 2021
0930-1030 Session 1: Opening Remarks & Keynote Address (all conference tracks)
1115-1245 Session 2: The Dynamic Air Sector (all conference tracks)
1) Robert Burke, Group Manager, Training and Simulation Group, FAA
2) Sheri Pippin, Aviation Safety, Air Transportation Division, FAA
Pilot Professional Development Rulemaking
3) Dr. Matt Vance, Professional Pilot Faculty, Oklahoma State University
Undeniable Emerging Trends in Commercial Aviation
1400-1530 Session 3: Training Transitions from the Pandemic Experience – Three Perspectives
1) Mr. Hamza Ayaz, Business Development Executive and Project Manager, Modest Tree
Recovering Effective Aviation Maintenance Training in a Socially Distanced World
2) D Smith, Aviation Safety Division Manager, US Department of Transportation
Virtual Live Experiences: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly
3) Dr. Joel English, Vice President, Aviation Institute of Maintenance,
1615-1745 Session 4: Training Perspectives
1) Bob Simmons, Director, Baines Simmons Ltd.
Competence vs. Performance – What Skills are Missing?
2) Doug Robey, Vice President of Maintenance Training & Reliability, GP Strategies
The Correlations Between Continuous Training, Defect Elimination, Increased Safety, and Lower Costs
Day 2 – Wednesday 16th June 2021
0900-1030 Session 5: STEM
1) Jay Logie, Founder and COO, ATG, Aircraft Technologies Group Inc.
Personnel Readiness, Starts in the Community
2) Davidson Nzekwe-Daniel, Founder & CEO, Davidson Initiative Inc.
Building the Next Generation of Aviation Professionals Through Student Engagement
3) Crystal Maguire, Executive Director, Aviation Technicians Education Council
An Update on Aviation Personnel Requirements
1115-1245 Session 6 – Technology
1) Christopher J. Rospenda, Global Maximo Asset Performance Management Strategy & James E. Seeber, Senior Solutions Engineer, IBM AI Applications
The Connected Technician: Using AI, AR, Advanced Analytics and IoT Data to Empower Your Field Workforce
2) Exhibitor Discussion (TBD)
Evolving Training Requirements: 3 key exhibitors will be participating in this free flow discussion/Q&A.
1400-1530 Session 7: Pressing Maintenance Training Issues
1) Ryan Goertzen, Vice President of Maintenance Workforce Development, AAR Corporation & President, Choose Aerospace
2) Steve Platt, Director, Tech Ops Training, Hawaiian Airlines
A Mix of Methods and Technologies
3) Rhonda Cooper, Chairperson, Airlines for America’s Maintenance Training Network
ATA Specification 104: Guidelines for Aircraft Maintenance Training: The Next Edition
1615-1745 Session 8 – Interactive Roundtable: The Hottest Training Issues
Building on the success of our very popular Heads of Training (HoT) forums at the APATS and EATS conferences, the finale will feature an open discussion of some of the most significant issues facing the civil aviation training community today. The session will be moderated by a distinguished panel representing airlines, training organizations, academia, industry and regulatory. This may be the most stimulating 90 minutes of the year.